There are three ways to travel from Penang to Hat Yai: 1. There is a single flight per day from Penang to Hat Yai operated by Malindo Air. 2. You can travel by bus or minivan. 3. You can take a train to Padang Besar and then change trains to continue onto Hat Yai. Travel by bus or minivan from Penang to Hat Yai is quicker than travelling by train.
Bus Times to Hat Yai
By minivan it takes 4 hours to travel from Penang to Hat Yai and there are 4 minivan departures a day which you can book online.
|05:00||08:00||46.00 MYR||New Asian Travel|
|08:30||11:30||46.00 MYR||New Asian Travel|
|12:00||15:00||46.00 MYR||New Asian Travel|
|15:30||18:30||46.00 MYR||New Asian Travel|
- Departure times are in Malaysian time.
- Arrival times are in Thailand time which is 1 hour behind Malaysian time.
Buy Tickets to Hat Yai
Use the Search Box to buy your minivan your tickets from Penang to Hat Yai.
There are other services which operate from Chulia Street in George Town and from Butterworth Bus Station which is adjacent to Butterworth Train Station on the mainland. To book these services either enquire at one of the travel agencies on Chulia Street or visit the ticket office at Butterworth Bus Station.
About Hat Yai
With a population of over 160,000 people people Hat Yai is the largest city in Southern Thailand and a major transport hub for connections between Malaysia, Singapore and the Southern Province of Thailand with location to north including Bangkok, Surat Thani, Phuket and other islands in the Andaman Sea. As a tourist destination Hat Yai is very popular with visitors from Malaysia, Singapore and China but less so with European and North American travellers who normally only pass through Hat Yai on the way to and from the border with Malaysia. Although the city may at first glance appear to be ugly, modern and comprised of concrete buildings and shopping mall there are a number of things in and around Hat Yai well worth taking the time to visit in Hat Yai.
The most popular and interesting attractions in Hat Yai include:
- Kim Yong Market: Located on on the Supasarnrangsan Road 600 metres walking distance from Hat Yai Railway Station, this market is only from 06:00 to 18:00 every day of the week. This well known and busy market has both an indoor and outdoor sections. On the first floor of the part of the market which is inside the vendor sell all kinds of foodstuffs and on the second floor most of the stall sell electronics. The vendor in the outside part of the market sell most cooked food and fruit and vegetables.
- Khlong Hae Floating Market: Open from 15:00 to 21:00 on Fridays, Saturday and Sundays this canal side market is located 5.8 km to the north of Hat Yai Railway Station. This is a colourful market which becomes lively in the evening with people coming here to eat. Its a fun place to be and families and young people come here for an inexpensive night out.
- Wat Hat Yai Nai: Wat Hat Yai Nai is a temple with a 35 metre long reclining Buddha housed within an ornate pavilion. Wat Hat Yai Nai is located on Soi Sakornmongkol 2.9 km by road from Hat Yai Railway Station. Admission is free.
- Hat Yai Municipal Park: Hat Yai Municipal Park is a great place to visit. The park is located on a hill side overlooking the city 7.2 km by road to the north-east of Hat Yai Railway Station. At the bottom of the hillside is a flat area with playgrounds, food stalls and pavilions clustered around a large pond. As you climb the hill you pass an interesting four faced Buddha statue and if you carry onto the top you come a small temple with a very large Buddha statue and some great views over the city and the surrounding area.
Penang Bus Stop
Minivan services to Hat Yai depart from the Newasia Express Service Centre near the Komtar Tower.
Hat Yai Bus Station
Minivan services from Penang terminate at Hat Yai Bus Station.