The Melaka San Duo Temple is Chinese Taoist temple in the historic centre of Melaka on a road which runs parallel to the Jonker Street Night Market.
The Melaka San Duo Temple is open every day from 08:00 to 18:00 and admission is free.
About Melaka San Duo Temple
There are several notable things about the Melaka San Duo Temple, one of which is its location. The temple is on the Jalan Tukang Besi close to three other major places of worship: the Sri Poyyatha Vinayaga Moorthy Temple, Kampung Kling Mosque and Cheng Hoon Teng Temple. The proximity of Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist temples shows the cultural diversity of Melaka.
Melaka San Duo Temple is also very old. The temple was first established in 1795, at which time it was known as Qing Long Hui. Since that time the temple has been rebuilt several times, most notably in 1857 after which the temple was renamed the San Duo Temple.
The Melaka San Duo Temple is relatively small, but holds a number of very old and impressive artefacts which make it worth visiting. One of these is the massive incense burner which sits in front of the shrine room. This incense burner was placed in its current position in 1892.
Other antiquities at the Melaka San Duo Temple include a bell which according to the inscription is from the 17th year of the Guangxu Empire (1888). The Guangxu Emperor was the 11th Emperor of the Qing dynasty which had ruled over China since 1664. The temple holds lots of other curiosities brought from China at around the same time which the temple maintains at its own expense.
Location of Melaka San Duo Temple
- Melaka San Duo Temple is located at 41, Jalan Tukang Besi, 75200 Melaka, Malaysia.