Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin, Putrajaya

Better known as the ‘Iron Mosque’, the Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin is Putrajaya’s second most important mosque, and a bold and striking statement of Malaysia’s ongoing transition to becoming a modern technologically advanced country.

  • Opening hours:
    • Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 05:00 to 22:00
    • Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday: 05:25 to 22:25
  • Entrance fee: Free

About Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin

Although only 2.9 km by road from Putra Mosque, the most important mosque in Putrajaya, Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin is huge distance away from Putra Mosque in architectural terms. Putra Mosque features design elements from famous Islamic buildings in North Africa, the Middle East and India’s Islamic traditions. By way of contrast the Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin uses cutting edge German and Chinese design technology and, whilst conforming to some traditional conventions, a conscious decision has been made to construct this mosque without other key features of traditional mosques. The Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin, for example, features no minaret. This deviation from convention would normally be considered shocking in the generally conservative country of Malaysia, but not in Putrajaya which is a new city and a place where experimentation in architecture, although not in other aspects of Malaysian life, is the new convention. Indeed, some commentators have suggested that if the Malaysian government agencies and politicians that are based in Putrajaya were as open to new ideas as the city planners and architects who designed the city’s main buildings the country would be a much better place.

Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin is also known as the Iron Mosque
Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin is also known as the Iron Mosque

Interest facts about the Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin:

  • Construction of the mosque took over 5 years, reaching completion in August 2009.
  • 70% of the structure of the mosque is made from steel, with the other 30% made from concrete containing small pieces which gives it a white appearance.
  • The walkway leading up to the mosque features landscaped gardens reminiscent of the Alhambra in Spain and covers an area of 13,639 sqm.
  • The walls of the massive main prayer hall, which can accommodate an estimated 20,000 worshippers, are made from an architectural wire mesh that stops the rain from coming in and deflects light from the sun, but allows the movement of air to create a cooling effect within the prayer hall.
  • The mosque uses an innovative district cooling system that involving pumping chilled water around the structure.
  • The qibla wall, a traditional feature of a mosque facing in the direction of Mecca, is constructed of 13 metre high panels of anti-reflective glass inscribed with Nasakh calligraphy.

Location of Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin

Google Map of Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.