The ferry service between the mainland and Penang is operated by Prasarana Malaysia Berhad, Malaysia’s largest provider of public transport services. They also operate light railway, metro and bus services in Kuala Lumpur.
The ferry service between Penang and the mainland is a car ferry service which runs from a ferry terminal near to Butterworth train and Penang Sentral bus station to a port near the centre of George Town on the island of Penang. The service is run under the brand name of Rapid Ferry.
About the Penang Ferry
The distance between the mainland ferry port and the ferry port in Penang is 3 km and the journey time by the Rapid Ferry is 15 to 20 minutes depending upon the tides and the waether.
For foot passengers there are covered walkways leading on and off the passenger deck of the ferry The ferry itself has a seating area in the centre of the passenger deck, toilets and a small shop selling food and drinks.
Ticket Prices for the Ferry Service
- Adult Fare: 1.20 MYR one way
- Child Fare: 0.60 MYR one way
- Bicycle: 1.40 MYR one way
- Motorbike: 2.00 MYR one way
- Motorcar: 7.70 MYR
Operating Hours of the Ferry Services
There are ferry services every 20 minutes until 22:00 when the ferry services become less frequent.
- Operating Hours:
- From Mainland:
- First Ferry: 05:20
- Last Ferry: 00:10
- From Penang:
- First Ferry: 05:40
- Last Ferry: 00:40
- From Mainland:
Mainland Ferry Terminal
- The ferry port on the mainland is called Pangkalan Sultan Abdul Halim Ferry Terminal and it is located close to Butterworth Train Station.
Penang Ferry Terminal
- The ferry port on Penang Island is called Pangkalan Raja Tun Uda Ferry Terminal and it is located on the seafront road in George Town.